IATSE 480 And Mental Health
I happen to know a lot of people in the movie industry, many of them IATSE 480 people, New Mexico Union.
What a life!!
Working twelves, fourteens, sixteens, occasionally more… (there IS no “No thanks, I’m kind of pooped” in this field—work it, or you are outta here…)
Freezing, hot as hell, months and months and months at a time, few days off, if any, often away from “home” (“uh, what is “home” again??”)
• Strained romantic relationships (I’ll leave it at that…)
• Not knowing when you’ll get a break, to travel, or go home, or to the dentist, or the wheel alignment guy…
• Extremely high expectations
• No room for error, blame, excuses
• Chance of being fired tomorrow (even by somebody who you will work with 3 months from now, and who is your friend…)
• Alcohol, drugs….
• Never feeling too sure of where your life is, or is leading…
• Intense, short termed affairs with fellow workers…
If ANYBODY could use some counseling, or therapy, or coaching, it’s movie people.
And did you know you probably have really good insurance coverage for those services?
You’re probably Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and your co-pay is low, especially given what you make…
IATSE people are the hardest working people I have ever met. I am not kidding. And I have a long history of working in factories and warehouses. Not even close.
I hope you are taking care of yourself. And if you could use a little help, or support, check out your “mental/behaviorally health” bennies.
They are good. No kidding
Thanks for bringing us all the magic of your hard work…I totally get that now…
505-699-7616 (I am better at texting than phone calls)
If I can be of any help in finding you a therapist, let me know….